Countryman Type 85: Active DI Box
The Countryman Type 85 Active DI box connects any high-impedance instrument pickup, even piezo pickups, to a balanced microphone (XLR type) input. It provides a strong, clean signal to the mix board without adding noise or distortion. It won’t change the tone or volume you hear from your own amp like passive direct boxes. It won’t break just when you need it. It won’t develop a dead battery on stage because it runs on Phantom power.
Countryman Type 85 DI Box Features:
Countryman Type 85 DI Box Applications:
- Strong, clean signal to the mix board with no added noise or distortion
- Isolates ground buzz between console and amp
- Small, compact, sleek design
- Almost invisible on stage
- Nearly impossible to break
- Internal components are fully protected against electrical damage
- Input circuit withstands 220V AC all day long, and static spikes up to 20,000 volts!
- Five-year warranty
- Connects any high-impedance instrument (including piano) to an XLR mic input
- Active direct box can run off internal 9V battery (~400 hours) if phantom power isn't available
Connectors and switches are recessed into a single-piece extruded case with extra-thick walls. You can literally drive a truck over a Countryman Type 85 DI Box without hurting it. Internal electronics are molded in a solid epoxy block and fully protected against electrical damage. The input can withstand 220 V AC all day long and static spikes up to 20,000 V.
Battery or Phantom Power
Most mixing consoles provide 48 V Phantom power and the Countryman Type 85 DI Box will automatically use it. If you don’t have Phantom power, the Countryman Type 85 DI Box will run for about 400 hours from a single internal 9 V battery.
Simply Exceptional Sound
The Countryman Type 85 DI Box uses only hand-selected high-quality discrete components woven into a single-ended class A circuit, much like a classic tube microphone preamp. The Countryman Type 85 DI Box has an incredibly smooth, sweet sound. Unlike many active DI boxes, the Countryman Type 85 DI Box can always isolate ground, even when running on Phantom power, to help eliminate hum and buzz from ground problems. The Countryman Type 85 DI Box doesn’t have roll off switches or effects. Adjusting the frequency content of a sound source is an artistic decision best done at the mixing location where you can hear the results and easily make changes.