Earthworks Audio PM40T : Touring Piano Miking System for Grand Piano
The PM40T Touring PianoMic™ System, offering the features and sonic performance of our PM40 PianoMic™ System while offering quick, simple, and easy setup, in a compact airline friendly carry-on case.
The Earthworks PianoMic™ System was designed to revolutionize piano miking and achieve an incredible improvement in piano sound for live and recording applications with no mic stands or booms.
15 Year Warranty
There is more gain before feedback, significantly less leakage from surrounding instruments and the same pristine sound quality with the piano lid either up or down. At the heart of the system are two Random Incidence, omnidirectional, 40 kHz High Definition Microphones™. With a frequency response of 9 Hz to 40 kHz, the mics deliver extraordinary impulse response and extremely short diaphragm settling times. In addition, the microphones exhibit no proximity effect, regardless of their distance from the piano strings or soundboard. The mics, when positioned close to the sound source, also provide incredible gain before feedback.
Earthworks Audio PM40T Features:
- Touring Model
- Cannot be seen from outside of the piano (needs no stands or mic booms)
- Superb sound with the piano lid either up or down
- Virtually no leakage from sounds outside the piano
- Incredible gain before feedback
- Recording studios can now record piano with other instruments in the same room
- Handles sound pressure levels up to 148dB
- Quick, Simple and Easy Setup
- 40kHz Random Incidence Omnis
- Hear the full range of the piano including the high and low strings with no hot spots
- The telescoping bar allows the PianoMic™ to be quickly and easily installed in nearly all grand pianos and to place the microphones close to or away from the dampers and get the exact sound desired
40 kHz Random Incidence Microphones
The innovative PianoMic™ System required the design of unique high definition microphones. Virtually all microphones used for recording and sound reinforcement are “free field” microphones, designed to pick up sounds in front of them. In contrast, the microphones in the PianoMic™ System are actually placed within the sound field of the piano, where sound is coming at the microphones from multiple sources and multiple directions. Each string is a separate sound source and the soundboard is also a sound source.
In addition, there are multiple reflections of each sound source from the soundboard, piano sides and piano lid. These reflections, arriving from different angles, create what is known as a “diffuse sound field.” A “random-incidence” microphone is designed to be placed within such a diffuse sound field and pick up sounds uniformly, whether they arrive at the front, the sides or the rear of the microphone. The PianoMic™ System achieves much of its remarkable performance through the use of specially designed, 40kHz random-incidence High Definition Microphones™.
Earthworks Audio PM40T Includes:
- 1 x PianoMic™ telescoping bars with attached microphone heads
- 1 x Microphone electronics box
- 1 x Leather pouch for electronics box
- 2 x Felt pads with adhesive backing
- 1 x User’s Manual for PianoMic™ System
- 1 x Carrying case
- 15 Year Manufacturer's Warranty